quality@glassfish.java.net

"remote EJB" documentation RFC?

From: Kristian Rink <rink_at_planconnect.de>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 08:28:49 +0100

Folks;

being a quiet lurker on this list as of recently, as things simply
worked well playing with GFv2/v3/v3.1, I am left with an interesting
question again that I think I'd like to share. Basically, at the moment
I am into trying to build more of an "old-fashioned" Java EE
application, wanting the server to be Java EE 6 / "full" EJB technology
and the client(s) to be remote EJB client applications. Both should be
built using maven2. I have been browsing, reading, playing and
(honestly) cursing travelling down this road, as well as tried to ask
people without too much success. Being on twitter [1] just as of
recently, I have been involved into some discussion relating to this,
basically learning that

- "javaee6-web" is the first thing to be recommended about this,
  overally,

- it seems I am not the only one left with problems like this [2],
  especially talking about application samples all along with NetBeans
  Java EE tooling, pretty much sharing my experiences (things work
  pretty well as long as they run in NetBeans, but as soon as one wants
  them to run outside the IDE, things fail for unknown reason and there
  seems little help in figuring out why),

- as far as my special use case - using maven for build - is
  concerned, it seems things are even worse, again ending up with
  seeing no one seems to even know where or how to get the latest
  artifacts required to build, package, run a gfv3 ejb client
  application using maven and recent glassfish installments.

So, I'd generally like to ask for "documentation" on building remote
EJB clients to work with Glassfish(v3?). I'd not even hesitate writing
a short tutorial on that on my own but at the moment I myself feel
pretty much lost even getting started here.... Any pointers, things
worth reading, things to know about this?

TIA and all the best,
Kristian

[1]http://twitter.com/kr428
[2]http://www.java.net/forum/topic/glassfish/glassfish/ejb-client-runs-netbeans-not-outside-0
[3]http://www.java.net/forum/topic/glassfish/glassfish/glassfishv3-ejb-standalone-client-and-ma

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH * Könneritzstr. 33 * 01067 Dresden