quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Input needed: GF v3 Troubleshooting Guide

From: Kristian Rink <rink_at_planconnect.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:40:23 +0200

Gail;

just had a quick look across the document you posted... a few thoughts:

- Overally, as far as I read it, I think it is pretty good already and
covers most of the things one might encounter when initially dealing with
Glassfish (or any application server, that is); however as I am already
familiar with this, I'm not sure how a "newcomer" would see this. :)

>> - What in your opinion are the three most common issues users might
>> encounter in key areas such as installation, configuration, server
>> access, security, and others? Please send your input to me.

* My #1 p.i.t.a. so far (which initially took me quite a while to get
figured out): I manually installed a recent JDK on an older GNU/Linux which,
as I then had to learn, came with a pre-installed JDK so, no matter what I
tried to do, the "wrong" /usr/bin/java (distro-provided) always was
preferred to my "custom" JDK install in /opt/java/. So, as this was pointed
out in the documentation relating to asadmin if I remember well, should also
be applied to a custom JDK installation: Whenever manually installing a JDK,
be sure not just to set JAVA_HOME but also to place $JAVA_HOME/bin at the
beginning of your $PATH just to be sure (if it's not yet there and I just
missed it).

- Regarding "server not accessible": I have seen "funny" things happening
(on both Windows and Linux) in recent environments with personal firewalls
being enabled. Maybe a pointer to this as a possible source of problems
wouldn't hurt.

- Regarding application deployment, as at the moment I learnt dealing with
jackrabbit: Applications not starting up because they require some "shared"
libraries placed in the domains lib/ext/ folder are painfully hard to debug
at times if you're new to the system.

Noch much more to add IMHO, however. :)
Cheers,
Kristian

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH * Könneritzstr. 33 * 01067 Dresden