quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish server v3 specs or requirements

From: Sankar Neelakandan <Sankar.Neelakandan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:36:23 -0700

Hi Tom,
     I can provide you the answers for your questions in monitoring.
Please see the answers inline.

-Sankar

Judy Tang wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Welcome to GlassFish Quality Community (GFQC) and thank you for
> picking to work
> on GlassFish v3 project in your testing class.
>
> We will get back to you on your good questions. To start with, you
> can click on [1] and [2]
> to learn more about GlassFish.
>
> [1] GlassFish v3 functional specs:
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3FunctionalSpecs
> [2] GlassFish Wiki page:
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishWiki
>
> Thanks,
> Judy
> tom trinh wrote:
>> Hi There
>>

>> In regarding to glassfish server v3 testing project at San Jose
>> state with Dr Jerry Gao class, My question is
>> Who should I contact or some where online to find out the specs or
>> requirements specifically for monitoring of HTTP service, web
>> container, and JVM?
>>
>> To monitor specific services(stated above) after enable them, how do
>> know what is default condition and what condition for each elements
>> or attributes of the service to know if is bottleneck?

There is no such thing as default condition. Monitoring is the ability
to watch certain services and certain statistics of appserver.
In http service you can monitor the thread pool , request / response
statistics etc.,
In web container you can monitor the session related statistics and
servlet/jsp related statistics.
Same goes for JVM.
If you would like to get notifications when certain things go beyond the
defined levels you need to use management rules feature of appserver.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I happy to help you.