quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: GF with 64bit JMV ?

From: Scott Oaks <Scott.Oaks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:10:24 -0400

Unless your application is severly constrained by memory and spends most
of its time doing GC (which would be unusually for a glassfish
application, and probably means you should look into the application
code and see how it is working with memory), the 64-bit JVM will not buy
you anything.

In fact, released versions of the 64-bit JVM (remember that JDK 7 is not
released) will run your application slower than current 32-bit JVMs. JDK
7 and a future release of JDK 6 (most likely 6_12, but perhaps 6_13 or
later) won't have that performance penalty, but also won't really give
you a performance boost -- you could do fewer GCs with a larger heap,
but the individual GCs will take longer, so that typically balances out.

-Scott