quality@glassfish.java.net

Announcing Project SocialSite

From: Aditya Dada <Aditya.Dada_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:29:35 -0500

Hi all,

We're excited to announce the newest project in the GlassFish community:
Project SocialSite.

Project SocialSite is an open source Social Network Service written in Java.

Specifically, SocialSite provides a set of jMaki widgets and web
services that you can use to add social networking features to your
existing web sites and applications. It includes a Java web application
that manages a comprehensive Social Graph repository and exposes that
data via an OpenSocial-based REST API. SocialSite also includes a set of
jMaki widgets that can be used to create an end-to-end UI for social
networking, including the ability to run OpenSocial Gadgets within the
pages of your existing sites.

Source code for all of this is being released under a dual CDDL/GPLv2
license and is available today (though we're not yet ready to make a
formal release). In fact, the code is a bit rough and critical
features, such as security, are not yet complete. So we hope you won't
use it to run any nuclear reactor control rooms at this point. But we
hope you will try it out and give us your feedback... or patches! :)

Here's a quick guide to the Project SocialSite resources that are ready
today:

Project SocialSite homepage on Java.net, with mailing lists and more:
https://socialsite.dev.java.net/

Project SocialSite source code in Subversion:
https://socialsite.dev.java.net/source/browse/socialsite/

Installation and build instructions:
https://socialsite.dev.java.net/files/documents/8682/106449/INSTALL.txt

Screencast that illustrates the project concept:
https://socialsite.dev.java.net/screencasts/mediawiki_demo.html

Our downloads page where you can find the latest build:
https://socialsite.dev.java.net/downloads.html

Our project blog where we'll be posting news and announcements:
http://blogs.sun.com/socialsite/