quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Some Criticism On The Modularization

From: Kristian Rink <rink_at_planconnect.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:18:03 +0200

Adam Bien wrote:
[...]
> sure - but the common cases should be available "out of the box". The
> current installation model is cool, dynamic and flexible but neither
> simple, robust nor pragmatic. It is important for marketing purposes, to
> show the dynamic capabilites - but obvious stuff should be prebundled.

Have to agree here. Having a "batteries-included" solution ready to get you
goin' is an important thing in my opinion (if someone just gave me a penny
each time I downloaded some piece of software at work, tried to get started
with it on my notebook offline just to figure out essential code would only
be downloaded by the application whenever I try to use it the first
time...). NetBeans + gfv2 is a next-to-perfect combination here, and
NetBeans+gfv3 should be at least as good as that. Plus, so far (especially
having EJB3 left out in the default packaging), I see this distribution
mechanism isn't doing any good to EJB3 as a technology, as (along with the
also pre-installed tomcat) it just might encourage people to use what they
get pre-packaged (the web container...) for virtually everything... :)

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink