persistence@glassfish.java.net

toplink schema generation - for development only?

From: jeff <jeffrey.blattman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:24:42 -0700 (PDT)

schema generation, IMHO, is a great thing.

1. for the N different DBs i support, i don't have to design the schema by hand
2. it seriously cuts down on the number of annotations i need, for calling out tables and columns, etc.

however, a potential problem w/ this occurred to me. say my product is running along w/ the toplink 2.0 and now i want to upgrade to toplink 2.next. will this work? for example, i let toplink create the table with whatever name it wants. now toplink.next maybe changes to scheme that it uses to create table names, so it assumes a different name, and can't find the original.

so i guess my question is ... is toplink's schema generation a production feature? or is it just a development tool? my production feature, i mean that a best effort is made to not break things between toplink releases.

thoughts?
thanks!

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.