persistence@glassfish.java.net

Re: Re1: Re1: Code review for: [Issue 1107] Logger defined by a property doesn't work]

From: Marina Vatkina <Marina.Vatkina_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:33:00 -0700

Andrei Ilitchev wrote:
> There is no problem in container case because only one
> EntityManagerFactory is permitted to be created for each deployed
> persistence unit.

OK.

> Multiple factories may occur in JSE case - and that's where killing the
> session when undeploy is called becomes a problem.
> Allowing to decrement deployment counter to -1 (would happen with your
> proposed change if undeploy called directly after predeploy) would screw
> up emSetupImpl further in its lifecycle: it may be predeployed, again;
> after that deployment twice would leave the counter = 1, which leads to
> killing of the session on the first undeploy.

Right, but Wonseok pointed out this problem, and with his suggested fix
the -1 case will never occur. Are there any other situations where killing
the session in pre_deploy state can cause any problems?

> This code is doing what it supposed to do, and doing it correctly.
> Why are we spending so much time on this?

Because it's not at all clear from the code itself, and there are no
comments that explain this. And if I spent that much time trying to
understand the origin of the redeploy bug, I'd like to find the cleanest
solution, or understand why we should work around the current implementation.

Unless you have design docs that others can read, such discussion will also
serve (somewhat) a documentation purpose.

thanks,
-marina