persistence@glassfish.java.net

Re: Re1: Code review for: [Issue 1107] Logger defined by a property doesn't work]

From: Marina Vatkina <Marina.Vatkina_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:59:46 -0700

Hi Tom,

What behavior would you like to see (keeping in mind that AbstractSessionLog
doesn't have a name, and is used only for a limited pre-session-creation
configuration).

BTW, now that we create a session and name it at the time we create the loggers,
can we get rid of the AbstractSessionLog instance altogether?

thanks,
-marina

Tom Ware wrote:
> Hi Marina,
>
> The reason I am concerned (and the reason I am slow getting back to
> you) is that all of the following make it so there is a session name is
> a "reserved word" since the namespace for a session is
> oracle.toplink.essentials.<sessionName>
>
> - oracle.toplink.essentials.default
> - oracle.toplink.essentials.default-logger
> - oracle.toplink.essentials.non-session
>
> I am trying to figure out if there is a reasonable way to solve this
> problem and avoid having a session name that behaves differently (no
> matter how obscure the name ends up being). In addition, I am hoping to
> keep the name spaces so they are intuitive.
>
> -Tom
>
> Marina Vatkina wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> One more thought: may be we should assign AbstractSessionLog namespace
>> called oracle.toplink.essentials.non-session or something to that extent?
>> It's not a default logger, and a different name will clarify a lot of
>> confusion.
>>
>> thanks,
>> -marina
>>
>> Marina Vatkina wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Tom,

>>> No problem. Worth discussing ;)

>>> "oracle.toplink.essentials" is the parent logger for all other loggers.
>>> The goal is to never set the level on that particular logger from any
>>> of the PU properties.

>>> Setting the level for "oracle.toplink.essentials" explicitly breaks GF
>>> integration, as it will not be possible to reset it to defaults
>>> dynamically:
>>> the default value is not set on "oracle.toplink.essentials" - it's a
>>> property
>>> that is not present for the defaults, but by Java logging defaults, i.e.
>>> "" logger in our case.
>>>

>>> The one strange thing this setting does is

>>> Yes, we can have toplink.logging.level.default-logger mapped to the
>>> "oracle.toplink.essentials.default-logger" namespace, which will not
>>> affect
>>> any session loggers, but will use the same global defaults if not set
>>> explicitly.

>>> If a user once specified a toplink.logging.level in the persistence.xml,
>>> they can't just remove that property to get the defaults. They need to
>>> redeploy either way if they change persistence.xml, but they'll need to
>>> either reset it to INFO, or restart the server after the redeploy to get
>>> the defaults.

>>> Yes. It does. I think we now go in circles around the following
>>> proposal:
>>>
>>> 1. Existing toplink.logging.level property to affect only session
>>> loggers.
>>> 2. Introduce toplink.logging.level.default-logger property that will