dev@glassfish.java.net

New restrictions on the enable-secure-admin command

From: Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 16:29:09 -0500

Hi.

Two days ago Joe D. sent a message describing some upcoming changes to
how GlassFish enforces admin security.

I have just checked in changes implementing one part of that: the
enable-secure-admin command will fail if there are any admin users
with an empty password.

Note that this is currently the default. The "admin" username is the
only admin username out-of-the-box, and it has an empty password. So,
now, enable-secure-admin will fail out-of-the-box.

To allow it, you can

asadmin change-admin-password

and respond to the prompts, providing a new, non-empty password. Then

asadmin enable-secure-admin

should work.

Eventually, the invariant GlassFish will enforce is that you cannot
have secure admin enabled and also have any admin users with an empty
password. The changes I have checked in affect only the part of the
enforcement that's done during enable-secure-admin processing. Later
check-ins will add logic to change-admin-password, delete-file-user,
update-file-user, and create-file-user to prevent users from creating
an admin user with an empty password once secure admin is already
enabled.

Please let me know if you have questions.

- Tim