dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Head's Up: REST-related Annotation Changes

From: Marina Vatkina <marina.vatkina_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:30:43 -0700

Jason Lee wrote:
> On 10/14/11 11:09 AM, Marina Vatkina wrote:
>> Thanks for the diffs.
>>
>> 1. RecoverTransactionsInternal is used only internally and not
>> exposed to the client.
> Hmm. That one was in the String[][] in the REST module for some
> reason, so I added the annotation. If you feel it shouldn't be
> exposed, we can easily remove it.

It should not. It's a hidden command.

>> 2. Where do the descriptions come from? Why are they so different?
>> Can they be 18n-ed?
> I'm not entirely sure where they come from, to be honest. The
> original metadata was added to and modified by several people, with no
> clear control, process, etc, so it was likely whatever the developer
> had in his/her head at the time. :)

Yeah... In the diffs that I looked at, the ListTimers had
description="list-timers", MigrateTimers had it nicely
description="Migrate Timers", while RecoverTransactions was reduced to
description="Recover" :(
> Currently, there is no support for i18n in the code that processes the
> annotations, but the need for that did occur to me as I was making all
> of these changes. I'll try to get that added, at which point we'll
> have to revisit all of these annotations. I'm hoping to write a small
> utility that analyzes all of the AdminCommand instances with respect
> to the REST annotations (e.g., make a list of those not annotated, try
> to make sure the HTTP verb is the correct one, etc). Adding a check
> to this for non-i18n'd descriptions should be pretty simple to do.
>> Also, please do not replace explicit import statements with a * -
>> it's better to see all the dependencies.
> Right. NetBeans did that, which I didn't notice at the time. I'll
> have to figure out how to make it stop doing that. :) I committed all
> of the changes a couple of days ago as I hadn't heard any objections,
> so there are at least a couple of options: You can fix the imports,
> descriptions, etc as you see fit yourself, or I can go back and do the
> same. I don't mind doing that (since I caused it :), but it might be
> a few days before I can get back to it, as I have some 3.1.2 perf work
> that has been given high priority. If you don't mind waiting, I'll
> try to get that done before, hopefully, the end of next week.

Yes, please restore the imports (and add what you needed to add).

thanks,
-marina