dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: MacOS Java update problem?

From: Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:08:37 -0500

On Oct 27, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Bobby Bissett wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2010, at 5:17 PM, Bill Shannon wrote:
>> Note that it can't find tools.jar. A web search suggests that maybe
>> there shouldn't even *be* a tools.jar on MacOS, so I don't know if
>> this is a new problem or what.
>
> I don't think anyone responded directly to this part of your email.
> No, there was not a tools.jar file even before you updated to _22.
>
> I've seen more than one pom.xml file with some bits hacked in to
> include tools.jar when it wasn't really needed (but worked ok till a
> Mac developer came along).

One way to build a pom that works is to define different profiles
activated by the different Java implementations. Only for Hotspot and
JRockit would a dependency on tools.jar be included, thus saving
builds on the Mac from failing. And marking the dependencies as
"system" scope means there won't be an explicit runtime dependency in
the resulting module. At least that's what I did in appclient/server/
core/pom.xml.

- Tim