dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: mysterious ports (solved)

From: Tom Mueller <tom.mueller_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:12:49 -0500

  Thanks. The JMS output accounts for all but one of the ports. Here's
the output on a later run:

101 i112i112 4.5
cluster_discovery tcp CLUSTER_DISCOVERY 0
portmapper tcp PORTMAPPER 27677
[imqvarhome=/scratch/gf/glassfishv3/glassfish/nodes/n-ssh-1/i1-1-2/imq,imqhome=/scratch/gf/glassfishv3/mq,sessionid=6488045478229091328]
jmxrmi rmi JMX 0
[url=service:jmx:rmi://adc6140523/jndi/rmi://adc6140523.us.oracle.com:27777/adc6140523.us.oracle.com/27677/jmxrmi]
admin tcp ADMIN 48235
jms tcp NORMAL 49825
mqdirect2 none NORMAL 0
jmsdirect none NORMAL 0
cluster tcp CLUSTER 26225
.

Here, ports 27777, 48235, 49825, and 26225 are 4 of the mysterious ports
(not so mysterious anymore).

And if I disable JMS altogether by putting a <jms-service/> in the
domain.xml, then all 5 mysterious ports are gone.

So how does one go about configuring them to be fixed? I looked at the
MQ documentation for 3.0 and this didn't jump out at me. Also, what
would be the expected configuration for a large cluster? Would each
instance be running an embedded broker? Or should there be some set of
brokers that are running independently from the instances (maybe not a
1:1 mapping)?

If the ports need to be unique for each instance, do we need to work
this into the automatic port assignment that is done when an instance is
created?

Thanks.
Tom