dev@glassfish.java.net

tweak to full build instructions

From: Bobby Bissett <bobby.bissett_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:30:03 -0400

Hi all,

Does anyone care if I change the "Re-build from existing workspace" instructions [0] to include "mvn clean install" instead of just "mvn install" to rebuild? Building without a clean first does not guarantee a working server. The page has this text: "Without the clean target, maven will build the modules that have been modified." But I don't believe it does a clean build of those modules, and I don't think it rebuilds the dependent modules as well.

I've seen two otherwise identical workspaces (same revision, no local changes) have very different behaviors when one was built with "clean install" and the other was built with just "install." Or is this a bug in the build process?

If developers really know what they're doing, e.g. have made a change that doesn't include other dependencies, then s/he ought to know when it's ok to just do a build without a clean.

[0] http://wikis.sun.com/display/glassfish/V3FullBuildInstructions

Thanks,
Bobby