dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why can't I incrementally re-build glassfish.zip?

From: Ken <ken.cavanaugh_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:15:09 -0700
Jane Young wrote:

Ken Cavanaugh wrote:
Typical scenario:
  • I make a change in one glassfish module (say glassfish-naming) with mvn install
  • I need a new glassfish.zip, so I try mvn install in distributions/glassfish.
  • Usually I get an old version of glassfish-naming.jar, not the one I just built
The distributions/glassfish module takes the packager artifacts and assembles the distributions.  In other words, if you want the new version of glassfish-naming.jar in packager, you'll need to also run "mvn install" in  packager module.

One option is creating a  hard link for glassfish-naming.jar from the installed glassfish/modules directory to common/glassfish-naming/target.  If there are any changes in commons/glassfish-naming, you can run "mvn install" for that module and the installed glassfish/modules directory should have the latest reference of glassfish-naming.jar.    Same goes for other glassfish modules.  I think Justin/Yamini have a script that will create the hard links for the jar files in glassfish/modules to v3's target directories.
See:  http://tinyurl.com/266a69v

HTH,
Jane
So if I use Yamini's scripts to set up the links, I can skip the packager mvn install step?
That step alone takes almost 5 minutes on my workstation, so I can see why the scripts are
useful.

Thanks,

Ken.