dev@glassfish.java.net

start-domain complains port is in use when it is not

From: Sathyan Catari <sathyan.catari_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:50:18 -0700

Recently configured my Solaris 10 machine to a DHCP from Static. Since
then started seeing this error
when running 'asadmin start-domain'.

# ./asadmin start-domain
Jul 23, 2010 1:52:06 PM
com.sun.enterprise.admin.launcher.GFLauncherLogger severe
SEVERE: The configured OSGi Telnet port (6666) is already in use by
another process. The OSGi Telnet Service will not be available but
GlassFish won't be affected otherwise.
There is a process already using the admin port 4848 -- it probably is
another instance of a GlassFish server.
Command start-domain failed.

The ports 6666 and 4848 are indeed free. Could it be the resolution of
hostname(that got lost during dhcp move)
that is causing this issue?

I did write/test a simple java program to create a client socket and am
able to find out that this host/port is free.
Also 'asadmin create-domain' didn't complain anything about occupied ports

Appreciate any pointers.

Thanks
Sathyan