dev@glassfish.java.net

ShrinkWrap Integration with Embedded Glassfish

From: Andrew Lee Rubinger <alr_at_alrubinger.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:32:34 -0500

Hi guys:

(This is a resend of a previous email sent to
embedded_at_glassfish.dev.java.net; I'm told that this is low-volume and
perhaps not monitored. If incorrect please advise the proper forum).

Over the past few months, we've been putting some development into the
EmbeddedAS[1] project at JBoss. Part of this effort has involved the
creation of a standalone API for archive creation, now called "ShrinkWrap".

Our goals are simple:

* Minimal dependency set (currently nothing aside from Java6)
* Intuitive, fluid, documented API
* Domain-specific extensions for spec-defined archives (JAR, EAR, EAR, etc)
* Export options (to ZIP or exploded flat file format)

Greater details can be found on our Wiki[2], JavaDoc[3], or project page[4].

We will be supporting this kind of notation within EmbeddedAS:

JavaArchive archive = JavaArchiveFactory.create("archive.jar")
    .addClasses(MyClass.class,MyOtherClass.class)
    .addResource("META-INF/ejb-jar.xml");
server.deploy(archive);

I'd like to open a dialogue to discover your interest in providing
similar integration for Embedded Glassfish. I believe ShrinkWrap's
scope is more generic than what I've seen so far in ScatteredWar for
example, and perhaps the community could benefit from a unified
declarative archive API shared across vendors/communities. Our license
is ASL v2 to encourage this effort.

S,
ALR