dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: java -jar glassfish.jar and EE6 support

From: Hong Zhang <Hong.Zhang_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 13:58:50 -0400

Hi, Sahoo

>>> Thinking more about this command:
>>>
>>> java -jar glassfish.jar
>>>
>>> This does not set the EE 6 modified jars we have for annotations (for
>>> example @Resource with the new lookup attribute) and jaxb (in the gf
>>> endorsed/ dir), so this is not a Java EE 6 compliant JVM process,
>>> right?
>>>
>>> Another evil side effect of modifying JDK 6 apis...
>>> Ludo
>>>

>> Well, if you're running it this way, you're taking responsibility
>> for configuring it properly. Part of that is configuring these
>> "endorsed standards" properly. We need to make sure our documentation
>> full describes all the required configuration to achieve a Java EE
>> compatible server.
>>

> No, we should not have to set endorsed dir to get this working since
> we run on OSGi and we can configure OSGi to ignore JDK supplied
> packages like javax.resource.
> Ludo, what are you observing that leads you to think that
> javax.resource is not being picked up from modules directory?
>
> I also see that whoever has integrated javax.resource has forgot to
> package it in endorsed dir for it to work in ACC.

I have not paid close attention to this thread until Bhakti brought this
to my attention (thanks Bhakti!)

The javax.annotation.jar was added to the endorsed dir when this part
was integrated. This is from a fresh installed glassfish:

hzhang_at_nmr:~/files/sun/glassfishv3/glassfish/modules/endorsed$ ls
javax.annotation.jar jaxb-api-osgi.jar webservices-api-osgi.jar

Or did you mean something else?

Thanks,

- Hong