dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: broken pipe when running asadmin

From: kedar <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 07:11:41 -0700

Bill Shannon wrote:
>> OUT: Error occurred during initialization of VM
>> ERR: Error opening zip file or JAR manifest missing :
>> /Users/bobby/servers/glassfishv3/glassfish/lib/monitor/btrace-agent.jar
>> OUT: agent library failed to init: instrument
>
> Seems like the above is likely the source of the problem.
>
> The server is exiting before it gets a chance to read the master
> password from stdin, which causes the *client* to get the SIGPIPE
> when it writes the master password to the pipe with no reader.
> The client probably ought to handle that better.

Hmmm. Possible. Should client (launcher) ensure that the server Process
is around before writing to its (server Process's) stdin? Currently it does
not do that, so yes, we need to make it more robust.

What mildly surprises me is that the code inside the server that reads its
stdin is in an Init service and as such, I thought it will always get a
chance to execute. But looks like that's not a safe assumption to make.

Bobby -- thanks for this use case. Can you file a bug?

-Kedar