dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: broken pipe when running asadmin

From: Bobby Bissett <Robert.Bissett_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:10:00 -0400

>> OUT: Error occurred during initialization of VM
>> ERR: Error opening zip file or JAR manifest missing :
>> /Users/bobby/servers/glassfishv3/glassfish/lib/monitor/btrace-
>> agent.jar
>> OUT: agent library failed to init: instrument
>
> Seems like the above is likely the source of the problem.
>
> The server is exiting before it gets a chance to read the master
> password from stdin, which causes the *client* to get the SIGPIPE
> when it writes the master password to the pipe with no reader.
> The client probably ought to handle that better.

I figured that was the root cause, but didn't know what would make
that happen. Good to know. By "client," do you mean the asadmin
client? There's my process calling the asadmin client which calls the
server, correct? Should I file an issue on it?

I'm not sure how to make a reproducible test case. It happens every
time for me now, but unless my domain has changed to cause this (I've
backed it up) then the steps to reproduce are ominous: write module to
fire up asadmin in a new process, fail, run asadmin. Am updating and
will rebuild server, then try it again with my domain to check.

Cheers,
Bobby