dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: virtual-server<->network-listener mapping

From: Jan Luehe <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:34:48 -0700

Hi Alexey,

On 09/30/09 09:55, Oleksiy Stashok wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday, during the eng. meeting I've mentioned about certain
> inconsistency we're having in subj.
>
> In GFv2 the situation was following:
>
> virtual-server referenced list of supported http-listeners,
> http-listener had a reference to default virtual-server
>
> In GFv3 the situation is different:
>
> virtual-server references list of supported network-listeners,
> network-listener has a reference to protocol (which MAY be HTTP
> protocol, but may be not)
> HTTP protocol has reference to default virtual-server
>
> So, besides inconsistency, we also have a problem - network-listener
> may be bound to protocol, which is not HTTP and in this case
> virtual-server can not reference such a network-listener.
>
> I think the easiest solution we can apply here - is to make
> virtual-server reference HTTP protocol, not network-listener. Can we
> do that?

We need the association between virtual-server and network-listener, so that
we can satisfy the contract of VirtualServer#getPorts, which is supposed
to return
the port numbers of all the listeners that a given VirtualServer has
been associated
with.

This info is used by MapperListener, which is associated with a
network-listener:
A MapperListener will ignore a VirtualServer registration event unless
the port number
of its associated network-listener is included in the array returned by
VirtualServer#getPorts.

Otherwise, it will process the event and add the VirtualServer (and all
its host names)
to the network-listener's Mapper.

I think it would be an error if a virtual-server referenced a
network-listener whose protocol
was different from http(s).

Does this help?

Jan