dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: different behaviors for admin user without password

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:09:53 -0700

Shing Wai Chan wrote:
> Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
>> Shing Wai Chan wrote:

>>> I run the CLI as follows (no --user):
>>> asadmin list-components
>>>
>>> I do not set AS_ADMIN_USER
>>> In my ~/.asadminpass, it has the following:
>>> asadmin://admin_at_localhost:4848
>>
>> Right, this means that asadmin program is sending
>> "admin"/no-password to a server located at localhost:4848,
>> which like you said is configured for "anonymous"/no-password.
>>
>> If you remove that entry or remove/backup .asadminpass, you'll
>> see what you expect (assuming you don't do other things).
> In this case, how should we look at REST and admin GUI?
> Both are going through browser. One prompts for password, but not for
> the other.

Well, Admin GUI and CLI are our clients, meaning we can write them so
they have in a certain manner. With a browser and HTTP/REST commands,
you don't have that luxury and standard 401/403 HTTP status codes
are sent by the backend that browser interprets in a standard way, in
this case by popping up a login dialog. I don't know how we can
make it better other than providing some JavaScript stuff.