dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: asadmin vs java -jar

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:23:27 -0700

Bobby Bissett wrote:
> Kedar,
>
> Thanks for the info. I'll switch back to asadmin when we can but will
> use "java -jar" till then. I wanted to ask a little more specifically:

Right. But note that for upgrade case, you have to be able to read
domain.xml, there is no choice but to read the java-config and process
it. Whether to do asadmin or java -jar and manually get all that
configuration is up to you, but you must get that information.
It's just that asadmin start-domain has done work for you; use it.

>>> Also, are there versions of --user and --password file to use here? I
>>> can't find them and it seems to accept anything I try.
>>
>> For startup, user name and password is not required for v3.
>>
>> 1 -
>> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV3AdminSecurity#section-GlassFishV3AdminSecurity-MasterPasswordRelatedChanges
>>

> Just wanted to make very sure -- this also applies to the case of
> upgrade, right?

Yes.

> The upgrade tool starts up "asadmin --upgrade" and
> passes in a v2 domain. There's no case where a specific password is
> needed for that domain.

How do you know ;)?

> It appears so, but I want to check that the
> password goes along with the server and not the domain. Sorry if it
> seems like an obvious question, but this probably means I need to make a
> UI change in the upgrade tool.

Probably you should read StartDomainCommand.java code to ascertain what
is done when. There are some specific rules that apply here and in some
cases server manages the master password of domain and in other cases
(you as a user). I haven't looked at the upgrade tool screen and
probably I should, but in cases where the user manages the master
password it sounds reasonable that you ask for it on the screen.

Yes, this is the so-called "master-password" distinct from the other
password -- usually called the "admin password".

-Kedar