dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: jsp-impl dependency issue

From: Jane Young <Jane.Young_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 03:00:32 -0700

Hi Sahoo,

Looks like Kin-Man publishes the jsp-impl SNAPSHOT artifacts to maven/2
repository. I've been promoting the jsp-impl for Kin-Man and have been
deploying to maven/glassfish repository. Maybe the correct repo should
be maven/2 instead of maven/glassfish since jsp is a separate java.net
project. There maybe other projects that are cross publishing
artifacts in maven/2 and maven/glassfish. Hopefully they contain the
same artifacts. It will take time to clean-up the maven
repositories. I do not have the time right now to clean-up the
repositories.

Kin-Man added the SNAPSHOT dependency today. Since we are not
promoting from trunk, Hudson job is not catching this SNAPSHOT. I
thought Maven is supposed to scan through all the repositories and look
for the latest SNAPSHOT version. Perhaps Jagadish is executing with
maven offline mode therefore the latest SNAPSHOT version is not
downloaded to his local maven repo.

Is there a reason why SNAPSHOT dependencies can't be specified in the
trunk and have it rev'd to a release version before promotion? The
reason I'm asking is because in the 3.0-Preview branch, glassfish-sample
artifact is defined as a SNAPSHOT dependency since we want to have the
nightly build contain the latest samples. Before promoting
3.0-Preview, glassfish-sample will get promoted and SNAPSHOT is changed
to a promoted version. Is there an issue for doing it this way?

Thanks,
Jane

Sahoo wrote:
> Which should be the actual repo for this artifact? Who uploaded it in
> both the repositories? A lot of developers are likely to face this issue.
>
> Jane,
>
> Can you find out from svn/cvs log of the maven repository to find out
> more about the offending the jar in maven repo. And finally, who added
> this SNAPSHOT dependency and why our hudson job not catching this
> SNAPSHOT dependency issue? Is it not running?
>
> Thanks,
> Sahoo
>
> Kin-man Chung wrote:
>> Looks like you are getting the wrong version of
>> jsp-impl-2.1.3-SNAPSHOT for some reason.
>> The one from http://download.java.net/maven/glassfish is stale. The
>> newer version is in
>> http://download.java.net.maven/2. Try removing it from .m2 and build
>> again.
>>
>> -Kin-man
>>
>> Jagadish Prasath Ramu wrote:
>>> I am unable to build due to a compilation issue w.r.t jsp-impl module.
>>>
>>> versioned builds of jsp-impl has a overloaded method
>>> JspConfig.makeJspPropertyGroups()
>>>
>>> but not available in SNAPSHOT build (2.1.3-SNAPSHOT)
>>>
>>> http://download.java.net/maven/glassfish/org/glassfish/web/jsp-impl/2.1.3-SNAPSHOT/jsp-impl-2.1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>>
>>> http://maven.glassfish.org/content/groups/glassfish/org/glassfish/web/jsp-impl/2.1.3-SNAPSHOT/
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> -Jagadish
>>>

>>> prompt>~/.m2/repository/org/glassfish/web/jsp-impl$ ls
>>> 2.1.3-b04 2.1.3-b05 2.1.3-b06 2.1.3-b07 2.1.3-SNAPSHOT
>>>
>>> prompt>~/.m2/repository/org/glassfish/web/jsp-impl$ j
>>> (reverse-i-search)`java': javap -classpath jsp-impl-2.1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>> org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig
>>> prompt>~/.m2/repository/org/glassfish/web/jsp-impl$ javap
>>> -classpath ./2.1.3-b04/jsp-impl-2.1.3-b04.jar
>>> org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig
>>> Compiled from "JspConfig.java"
>>> public class org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig extends
>>> java.lang.Object{
>>> public
>>> org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig(javax.servlet.ServletContext,
>>> org.apache.jasper.Options);
>>> public static void makeJspPropertyGroups(java.util.Vector,
>>> java.util.Vector, java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String,
>>> java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.util.Vector,