dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassfFish Authentication\Authorization

From: Michael Hardy <hardymf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:25:14 -0600

Kumar,
Thank you for your lind attention to this issue. Both of the links below
relate to secuity for messaging. Since we do not as yet have a Messaging
Bean (MB) and do not currently utilize JMS in our application, this is not
related to the issue. To describe what the needs are further, we have an
Enterprise Application with CRUD and an Oracle DB backend. We deploy to
GlassFish with a single ear file and have form-based authentication at the
front end with users, roles etc. maintained in the DB. Using JAAS required
that we create a realm and the concommitant dependency upon a connection
pool and a datasource. The application functions as expected and we can
allow\disallow funtionality presented to the client based upon the users
role. We have implemented a portion of our functionality as a web service.
This service, when deployed to the GlassFish container is available to local
services seamlessly. When needed by a remote service, the forms-based
authentication is problematic as the client application does not have the
capability to respond to a login prompt presented by the form. When we
modify the web.xml and switch from FORM to BASIC auth-method, the remote
access by a client application to the web service works, but our web site
loses the login form at the front end and now presents the standard
browser-based login dialog. We hope to maintain our current form-based
login and utilize either BASIC or, better yet, CLIENT-CERT
authentication\authorization of a web service in a single deployment of an
Enterprise Application.
Thank You,
-Michael

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:34 AM, V B Kumar Jayanti <Vbkumar.Jayanti_at_sun.com