dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Evolution of a Prelude install

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:05:35 -0700

Vince Kraemer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about how v3 will evolve after Prelude...
>
> Are users expected to use the update center to upgrade a prelude
> install into a v3 FCS install? Will that be 'supported' or are we
> going to expect folks to download new bits/builds that are FCS builds?
most likely the latter, I don't think it would be impossible to do the
first one but this might be extra-work we don't want to undertake.

> Why I am asking: one of the decisions that we need to make regarding
> IDE integrations is the number of options we show a user... for
> example...
>
> If we expect users to download a v3 FCS build, then we may want users
> to be able to select a plugin for that AND still have a plugin that is
> for v3 Prelude...
so it may be that one plugin would be able to target either server
although we have not been very good at that over the years.
Independently of whether this is backed up by one or two plugins
implementation, I would expect that user's have a choice of targeting
both types of installations simultaneously.

> If we expect users to download Prelude and be able to update their way
> to FCS, then it makes sense to supply a single plugin choice...
>
> A related question would be this.... will there be multiple Java EE 6
> profile downloads available... like a web profile, a full profile, etc.
I expect so.

Jerome