dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Vince Kraemer <Vince.Kraemer_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:41:44 -0700

Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
>> Overall I agree that it is dangerous for Netbeans to just use java
>> -jar glassfish.jar.
>> However I had conversations with Byron or Kedar (again, my aging
>> memory failing) about providing a local command to export the java
>> command that the launcher would use to start the domain. This would
>> allow NB to basically substitute the launcher, have a direct
>> reference to the process handle (which is important for them) yet
>> retaining the capacity of respecting the domain.xml settings.
>
> I can't believe what I am reading here!
>
> See 412-2 in admin spec for Prelude.
> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/nonav/v3/admin/planning/prelude/admin-infra-prelude.html#4122
>

> This was what I had gone to arch review with. And as reflected in review
> comments
> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/nonav/v3/admin/planning/prelude/admin-infra-prelude.html#ReviewComments
>

> with comments (paraphrasing):
>
> "Reviewers thought that it is appropriate requirement from testers
> (e.g. performance team), but it is not a goal for this release."
>
> In speaking with performance team, I had this request logged more than
> a year
> ago and I wanted to help them this way, but arch did not think it is
> "relevant"
> for Prelude.

I do not understand the point you are trying to make with this response?

I read through the sections that you reference and here is what I think
it says....

The spec proposes creating a new asadmin command that would return the
java command necessary to start the AS on standard out.

The reviewers said that it was not necessary to create this new asadmin
command in the prelude timeframe.

vbk