dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: FYI: Glassfish V3 build time: plain vs '-U'

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:25:37 -0700

On Aug 11, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Lloyd Chambers wrote:

> This might be a data point of interest to those building V3 a lot—
>
> I first did a full build to populate my local repo.
>
> Times to build:
>
> clean; mvn install : 4 minutes
> clean; mvn -U install : 21 minutes
>

> So using the '-U' option may be "expensive"...
absolutely, that's why a pure snapshot based projects would be
expensive, since you would need to run mvn -U at each integration.
version based are of course a lot faster. So time lost doing releases
versus time lost checking for updated snapshots is the trade-off we
need to balance.

of course one way to speed up the mvn -U time would be to reduce the
number of repository configured in our pom.xml