dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: A tiny request to v3 developers

From: Harsha Godugu <Harsha.Godugu_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:22:02 -0700

> Jagadish Prasath Ramu wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear :
>>
>> Should we remove ~/.m2/repository and build ?

No not build. The dir. build in v3 is part of the checkout.

To be clear, have a private local repo (not even under
UserHome/.m2/repository) when you build a specific module (s).
The idea is, not to mix your repo for a project A with other projects'
repo. Well, you can question-, this is going backward on the very
concept of maven and shared repo. I agree. This is a temporary solution
and for the time being. We don't want to put too many variants
in the system that can go wrong, and later look for where the problem
is? So far, the problems we saw are around local repo.
Hence is, this temporary solution. (Until we stabilize any versioning
issues in the artifacts of all modules and their dependents.)

>> or would
>> GFV3 > mvn -U clean install be fine ?

Didn't we see still problems when folks here, used the above line?

> Hopefully!
>
> I agree, having to delete ~/.m2 is real pain and

It shouldn't be a pain if you separate your workspaces and their
respective repositories. Say for example, if I build hk2, then I would
keep a separate repo for that project. Same goes with any other project
(like grizzly, v3 etc..).
By following this, if you want to start a fresh build of say, hk2, then
you would not have to touch / remove other repos. Since your focus is on
hk2. Here it's a judgment call either to go for a fresh checkout ,
remove that private repo or go far a simple svn update and not to worry
about the repo.
This also helps in, identifying the problems in dependent artifacts. Say
for example, your module depends on an artifact which arrives from a
remote repo. Before your changes, everything was fine with the tests.
After you introduced your changes in the same module, after building
it, you see strange results. You are sure that, your changes are fine
and good. Where do you think the problem would be?
The one that arrived from the remote repo. This is tough to identify.
But, at least you can narrow it easily.

-hg