dev@glassfish.java.net

[GFv3] When & why do we need server restart?

From: Sahoo <Sahoo_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 05:10:16 +0530

I am trying to understand when and why we need server restart. By
server restart, I mean starting in a new JVM. I am particularly
interested in addition, updation and removal of modules. OSGi framework
provides us the necessary facilities to do all these things without
server restart, so it must be something to do with our implementation. I
am aware one such implementation bottle-neck, which is the way we do
application class loading. Let's say we address that. Actually, I know
one more such bottle-neck, which is our naming manager implementation
which relies on some singleton object in JRE. What are the other places?
I will appreciate if each module owner takes some time and tells us why
they think server needs to be restarted when their module is added,
updated or removed. At least identifying those issues during development
of modules will go a long way in being able to overcome them in future.

Thanks,
Sahoo