dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Don't use $variable while specifying version

From: Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:04:57 +0100

Looking at that change, I have a few suggestions.

1. For /project/version you _must_ provide a real version number. Property
expansion is not supported by Maven 2 in /project/version or
/project/parent/version

2. Have you considered using ${project.version} (If that doesn't work and
you are using an older version of Maven 2 try ${pom.version}) rather than
${grizzly.original-version}

3. If you want the module to version separately from all the other grizzly
components you might be better off re-parenting....

introduce a grizzly-core-pom module, have you module use that as it's parent
and ensure that you provide /project/version which is the module's version
rather than the grizzly-core-pom's version, e.g.

<project>
  <parent>
    <groupId>com.sun.grizzly</groupId>
    <artifactId>grizzly-core-pom</artifactId>
    <version>1.7.3.3</version>
  </parent>
  <groupId>org.glassfish.external</groupId>
  <artifactId>grizzly-module</artifactId>
  <version>1.7.3.3-rev1</version> <!-- why is this not
1.7.3.3-rev1-SNAPSHOT??? never have non-SNAPSHOT's for artifact versions in
SCM unless it is a tagged branch -->

Then in your dependencies you can just use ${project.parent.version} where
you had ${grizzly.original-version} and ${project.version} where you had
${grizzly.version}

Also, if you could please vote for http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MOJO-1178,
it has a handy goal: "upgrade-parent" which modifies your pom to use the
latest parent available.

-Stephen