dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: admin gui jsp impl

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:33:45 -0700

One of the difficulty of "being" part of the same build is that they
come from different java.net projects with different contributor
lists, different SCM so I am not exactly clear on how you can easily
have this in place. On top of that, building everything all the time
which is the only sure way to have the SNAPSHOTS right is going to
slow down the overall build time. So we need to review the upcoming
proposal carefully before doing this (which won't be before SCF).

Finally snapshot will make life the external projects very
complicated, as they cannot rely on un-versioned modules like
glassfish-api. I believe we could alleviate the problem by tagging the
snapshot builds but these are in a sense versions.

For the time being, I think we should continue with the current way of
doing things until we are sure there is a better way. Therefore,
jspimpl should not be integrated as a snapshot, however jspimpl seems
to be depending on web-common (end of the dependency trail) so that
would force us into releasing this module too.

Also, can you clarify why "admin gui needs to be built before v3" ? Is
this because they have a few OSGi modules that always ship in V3 ? If
that's the case, that code should move from admin gui build process to
the v3.

jerome