dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: "Modularization of GlassFish using OSGi" one pager available for review

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 23:54:12 -0700

On Jul 19, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> Sahoo wrote:
>> Yes. You can do so by configuring the plugin like this:
>> <instructions>
>> <Fragment-Host>Bundle-SymbolicName of the Host bundle</Fragment-
>> Host>
>> </instructions>
>>
>> Prelude can't support bundle fragments, because of limitations in
>> underlying OSGi platform we use. I did not even know we are doing
>> G11n for Prelude. Is it mentioned in "Overview" one-pager? If not,
>> which requirement spec describes this requirement for Prelude.
>
> I read the "Modularization" page and think it is a good overview of
> the issues surrounding a move to OSGi. This question, though, is
> related to something I was wondering. What is the current and
> planned requirements for fragments in GlassFish?
>
> As you mention, Felix does not currently support fragments, but I
> have been trying to make it a priority over the last month or two,
> but other things keep popping up. In the trunk, we have preliminary
> support for using fragments to extend a bundle's class path.
> Hopefully, I can finish that off before too long and just start to
> pick off different features of fragments one by one.
>
> How critical are these capabilities for GlassFish?
> as
I would not qualify it as a critical requirement, but some has
expressed desire to use fragments for i18n. We are not planning to use
it in the core architecture. As for i18n, it really is a convenience
for use fragments as we could continue deliver our localized files
like we did previously (co-bundled).

> I am of the opinion that fragments should only be used in limited
> situations.

I agree.