dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Moving Beyond Rails

From: Arun Gupta <Arun.Gupta_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 06:41:18 -0700

Hi Ceasless,

See in line ...

Ceasless One wrote:
> Thanks for responding, Arun. Is the Rack you mention Nick Siegel's
> Jruby-Rack?
Yes

> He's said he is working on an example program that will
> illustrate how to set up a non-Rails / non-Merb application in jrack.
Yep, I had few email exchanges with him on exactly this topic and he'll
write something up soon. In the meanwhile I published a blog explaining
how Rails+Rack application can be deployed on GlassFish at:

http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/war_based_packaging_and_deployment

In the blog, notice how seamless is the integration between Servlet and
Rails.

> Warbler apparently can war up other things than Rails as well.
> Definitely ooking forward to your take on how all this integrates with
> Glassfish.
>
> As to keeping an eye out for the blog post, no worries there, since I
> check Miles to go... every day in hopes of seeing just such a post.
Thank you, feel free to suggest a topic of your interest that you would
like to see on my blog.

> May
> I recommend doing your testing for Sinatra or Camping? This approach
> would more clearly demonstrate how to bootstrap an existing (and much
> simpler) non-Rails/non-Merb web framework using the leverage of both
> jruby-rack and glassfish.
Sure, the current blog entry shows how to use Rails+Rack together. But
once a non-Rails/non-Merb Rack app is ready, it'll be there on my blog :)

> But most importantly, keep up the great work!
Thank you!

-Arun