dev@glassfish.java.net

re: publishing information on Felix

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:34:34 -0700

Sahoo,

My comments were intended as general ones, aimed at any sort of
technical discussion, not necessarily singling out Felix. It's a large
community.

It's not about notifying developers. If I spent my day understanding
the technology mentioned in every email, I'd have no time left for
work (heck just getting through the emails is a challenge). There are
(for example) many blogs and docs on JMX, yet few developers
understand it. I understand it, but I get questions all the time
(basic ones). Yet it's been around for 5-6 years.

So when an email is sent to "the world", you must not assume that
everyone has your level of knowledge, or even has the time or
inclination to explore it in detail. It's a judgment call of course,
depending on the email.

So--first spell out an acronym or term the first time, and (ideally)
include a few URLs for reference. The value of an email rises by
virtue of such things...I can toil through our web site to find "OSGi"
or "Felix", or resort to google, etc. The point is I've spent 20
minutes trying to find something on the glassfish site before! (I'm
not saying that's the case with Felix, just a general principle).

Repetition counts--just because it was sent once a month ago has no
relevance to someone who is willing to look into it more *now*.
Advertisers know this well.

That this is true is clear from my years of experience even in WSARC/
LSARC; Sun senior engineers with decades of experience in some areas
still might need introduction to some cases.

Lloyd