dev@glassfish.java.net

How to report a Maven problem? (was: Re: build problems -- unable to download snapshot)

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:50:49 -0700

Lloyd L Chambers wrote:
> This is on the trunk. In the past week the build has gone flaky,
> wasting hours with this kind of think.

I'm sorry for the frustration.

When this kind of problems happen in the future, it would be good for us
to have more information so that we can fix this quickly. To this end,
I'm writing this as a guide of how to report a Maven related problem.

1. When an artifact resolution fails, please include the output of a
module build. When Maven enters into another module, it prints out a
banner line like this:

> [INFO] Building Glassfish Full Bundle
> [INFO] task-segment: [install]

So please make sure to find the nearest such banner, and start the
copying from there. This allows us to see what module is failing and in
which plugin.

2. Please run Maven with the -e option to get the stack trace of the
failure, not just the error message. This is also useful in determining
who is initiating an artifact resolution that eventually fails.

3. Please try "svn up; mvn clean; mvn -U install" to see if that
resolves the problem.

Thanks!

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi