dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to report a Maven problem? (was: Re: build problems -- unable to download snapshot)

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:45:16 -0700

Kohsuke,

Thanks.

#3 is what I've been doing.

I can't remember all these details necessarily. One thought--

Upon failure, could the build emit the URL to a FAQ page about how to
track down such problems? Then I wouldn't have to remember the URL or
details; I could just go there and get the latest advice.

Lloyd

On Apr 21, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
> Lloyd L Chambers wrote:
>> This is on the trunk. In the past week the build has gone flaky,
>> wasting hours with this kind of think.
>
> I'm sorry for the frustration.
>
> When this kind of problems happen in the future, it would be good
> for us to have more information so that we can fix this quickly. To
> this end, I'm writing this as a guide of how to report a Maven
> related problem.
>

> 1. When an artifact resolution fails, please include the output of a
> module build. When Maven enters into another module, it prints out a
> banner line like this:
>
>> [INFO]
>> [INFO] Building Glassfish Full Bundle
>> [INFO] task-segment: [install]
>> [INFO]
>
> So please make sure to find the nearest such banner, and start the
> copying from there. This allows us to see what module is failing and
> in which plugin.
>

> 2. Please run Maven with the -e option to get the stack trace of the
> failure, not just the error message. This is also useful in
> determining who is initiating an artifact resolution that eventually
> fails.
>

> 3. Please try "svn up; mvn clean; mvn -U install" to see if that
> resolves the problem.
>

> Thanks!
>
> --
> Kohsuke Kawaguchi
> Sun Microsystems kohsuke.kawaguchi_at_sun.com

---
Lloyd L Chambers
lloyd.chambers_at_sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc