dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [ANN] POM change to disable SNAPSHOT updates by default

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:09:01 -0700

Kohsuke,

I am not a build expert, and I have precious little time to understand
these subtleties.

I have built scripts and aliases to make for an efficient development
environment; now I don't understand what I'm going to get.

What I want to know is:

1. Does this change mean I'll get a stale build under some
circumstances?

2. When and why do I want to use "-U"?

Lloyd

On Mar 24, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

> As we discussed last week, I just committed a change to turn off the
> SNAPSHOT updates by default in the v3 workspace.
>
> With this change, once you update your v3 workspace, running "mvn
> install" or "mvn package" would behave as if the -o option is
> implicitly given --- it will never attempt to download SNAPSHOT
> versions (unless you don't have it locally.)
>
> To have Maven download the latest SNAPSHOTS, you'd now have to use
> the -U option explicitly.
>
> We are still trying to understand the full implications of this
> change, so please share with us how this worked out for you, either
> good or bad.
>
> --
> Kohsuke Kawaguchi
> Sun Microsystems kohsuke.kawaguchi_at_sun.com

---
Lloyd L Chambers
lloyd.chambers_at_sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc