dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3 redeploy does not work

From: Ludovic Champenois <Ludovic.Champenois_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:33:51 -0700

Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
> I thought that the plan of record is till we find the correct default
> value
> for --force, it remains true. This was after ccc meeting yesterday.
>
> Thus, asadmin deploy foo.war [foodir] followed by asadmin deploy foo.war
> [foodir] should result in redeployment of the underlying
> application/module.
>
> This means, we should not use "redeploy" command just yet, as "deploy
> over deploy" is supposed to achieve the same effect.
>
> I am not convinced we ought to have a "redeploy" command.
JSR 88 has it in in semantics.
NB and Eclipse plugins rely on a 'redeploy' feature, (nb uses 88 and
extends it for dir deploy).
NB does not make it easy at all to access the app location for redeploy
(see the 88 APIs for that, using only TMID)
So I am convinced, based on my experience on Tools integration.
I hope I clarified your doubts there. I am not talking about asadmin CLI
tools, I am talking about API/commands used by Tools like NB 4.1, 5.0,
5.5, 6.0, 6.0.1 and 6.1 beta or Eclipse 3.2, 3.3 and future.
It was working nice in Nb V3 plugin for TP1.
Since TP1 I could not see a single V3 build which is working nicely with
Tools.
I would suggest the entire Deploy/Admin team to use NetBeans or/and
Eclipse as a sanity test before doing any changes in deployment area.
This way, we could all do a synchronous check in so that this
combination is always working.
If you are not convinced yet, remember that the biggest download numbers
we have for GF v2 are coming from Tools/Runtime bundles:-)
Cheers,
Ludo