dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3 redeploy does not work

From: Jane Young <Jane.Young_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:32:40 -0700

vince kraemer wrote:

> You are right. Broken depends on your perspective.
>
> So, the question of, "why did this (the syntax) get changed?" remains
> unanswered.
>
> Can anyone answer that question?

The syntax is changed since we don't want to support two different code
paths since redeploy is essentially the same as "deploy --force=true".

> In the case of directory deployed web apps, etc... the user has
> entered the name and the path to deploy the app, right?
>
> The domain.xml has the correct path associated with the name and
> should just use that, if there is no path argument given.
>
> I think the new "correct" syntax is actually asking tools and users to
> reenter data. (I cannot really tell, since I don't see any definitive
> reference for redeploy through the web admin interface)That seems like
> it will make mistakes easier to make... not harder...

How did NB plugin handle this issue in v2? From NB, it should know
the path to the application; why does it need this information from
domain.xml?

> vbk
>
> PS: I also noticed that Ludo's original question was not answered
> directly... "what is the real syntax for redeploy or a dir deployed
> app?" (which I think is really... what is the real syntax for redeploy
> of a dir deployed app?)

The syntax is the same as v2.
Currently, the supported options for deploy command in v3 (for TP2) are:
"deploy [--name app-name] [--contextroot contextroot] [--virtualservers
virtualserver] [--force true|false] [--precompilejsp true|false]
<archive-file | archive-directory>"

and

"redeploy" = "deploy --force=true"

HTH,