dev@glassfish.java.net

RESEND: How do I see exceptions?

From: Ken Paulsen <Ken.Paulsen_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:26:19 -0700

I am unable to see stack traces that would help me debug.  Here's what I see in the browser:
javax.servlet.ServletException: Unable to determine parameter type 'com.sun.appserv.management.config.PropertiesAccess' for parameter named 'mbean'.

root cause

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to determine parameter type 'com.sun.appserv.management.config.PropertiesAccess' for parameter named 'mbean'.

root cause

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.appserv.management.config.PropertiesAccess
In the console (w/ asadmin start-domain -v):
SEVERE: JSF1054: (Phase ID: RESTORE_VIEW 1, View ID: /testIP.jsf) Exception thrown during phase execution: javax.faces.event.PhaseEvent[source=com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl@fa54fe]
And the server.log file:
[#|2008-03-11T23:18:46.158+0000|SEVERE|GlassFish10.0|javax.enterprise.resource.webcontainer.jsf.lifecycle|_ThreadID=20;_ThreadName=Thread-4;RESTORE_VIEW 1;/testIP.jsf;javax.faces.event.PhaseEvent[source=com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl@fa54fe];|JSF1054: (Phase ID: RESTORE_VIEW 1, View ID: /testIP.jsf) Exception thrown during phase execution: javax.faces.event.PhaseEvent[source=com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl@fa54fe]|#]
I also attempted to set the logging.properties log levels, but that did not do anything.

In this case, I can guess what the problem is, although I would like to know why it's a problem b/c I shouldn't be accessing any of the server api's with the request I made.  A simple stack trace would show me exactly what I'm not understanding and I could move on quickly.

When is this going to be fixed?  Is there something I am not configuring correctly that hides all errors for the user?  Why? Why? Why? :)  This is slowing down my development significantly.

Ken