dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish V3 Workspace Structure for Admin Modules

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:11:42 -0800

Sahoo,

Sahoo wrote:
> Jerome Dochez wrote:
>>
>>> From a size/embeddability considerations, if any of the above
>>> interfaces is
>>> deemed "unnecessary", then probably a "distribution" emerges at that
>>> point
>>> which excludes the artifacts of that particular interface. For
>>> example, we
>>> might want to build a webtier-light distribution that does not
>>> contain the
>>> GUI/AMX interfaces.
>> right so would not that call for separating those at the module level ?
> I don't understand how separating the admin functionality of webtier to
> a single module like webtier-admin solves the aforementioned
> distribution problem. We would still distribute the same number of
> bytes, because the module contains both required and optional webtier
> admin functionality. Or, are we talking about the required part of
> webtier-admin to be part of webtier.jar where as the optional part being
> made available as one or more separate modules?

As of now, at least for webtier, I feel all admin artifacts should be
made a part of webtier.jar alone. In general, I am not sure if different
admin interfaces/classes are general enough to be made into separate
HK2 modules (this is based on Module definition outlined by
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3EngineersGuide

So, in short, core admin facilities is one HK2 module and webtier
admin facilities are part of webtier module itself.

Am I creating more confusion?

- Kedar