dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3: Has the asadmin deploy command changed w.r.t specifying the context root

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:06:26 -0800

Jerome Dochez wrote:
> I was talking to Jane about this yesterday, We need to ensure we are
> satisfying the CLIP requirements but that's definitely my feeling too,
>
> just like if someone types --contxetroot, we should interpret it as
> --contextroot...

Hmm. That's interesting but difficult to get right and has implications
on "interface" definition and compatibility.
Maybe someone did want to get an error back
on typo? (Otherwise we might have to support all the typos forever!)

Case-sensitivity is slightly different. For a long option, a "correct"
spelling in any case could be accepted as valid without huge (as in
difficult to deal with) implications.

Incidentally, I think we need to consider the exit codes from CLI with
some seriousness. I have started a discussion topic at:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ProsAndConsOfAsadminExitCodes
and will be adding content to it soon. A reasonable exit code (and message)
would indicate the typo like: "Did you mean --contextroot instead"? would
lead to better overall user experience.

Regards,
Kedar