dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [V3] targeting asadmin commands ...

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:52:42 -0800

On Jan 18, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Lloyd L Chambers wrote:

> I've experienced the same unease that Kedar expresses (but in
> regards to other design issues). For us admin folks starting work
> on V3, surprises in the admin area are doubly disconcerting, but
> since most of the admin team is just starting work on V3, surprises
> and confusion are inevitable. The admin team has to take up its
> areas at whatever point they stand now (which includes the
> responsibility for reversing and/or changing any existing V3 admin-
> related decisions if there is good reason).
>
> At its heart, this email exchange is symptomatic of a key challenge
> that needs to be dealt with — communicating the current assumptions
> and intent of the very small team that engendered V3 to a broader
> audience of developers. We need mechanisms for that to happen, and
> be hallway conversations or even weekly meetings do not suffice (as
> useful as those are). (It's a very interesting challenge about how
> to built these processes).
>
> I note that the email exchange began as a factual exchange, which is
> good. But consider the *context* — an internal developer, indeed
> the lead for the admin area, is surprised by the behavior of V3 with
> respect to an admin-related feature! That's a fact which should be
> understood dispassionately, but also taken as a call to action.
>
> So here are my thoughts on where we can improve:
>
> 1. Expectations -- We need a “state of the server” page, a sort of
> combined FAQ and "TO DO" page which makes explicit what's done,
> what's in progress and what remains to do. this is not a schedule
> per se, but rather something to set expectations.
>
> For example, I know where the AMX (MBean API) code stands, but
> hardly anyone else does. Where should I describe my plan, vision
> and current status for that area? Presumably under some admin page
> on our web site somewhere. But I don't know where that is. I have
> written up a number of documents which I previously sent out, but
> there is no "status page" for AMX as yet.
yes you should start an admin page on the wiki and start a link to AMX
work from there. I think the wiki is the right combination of editing
and sharing combination we would need to sustain such documentation. I
would encourage everyone working on V3 to do the same, I think it is a
great idea and very necessary, we need something from

        - Kedar (Admin in general)
        - Lloyd (AMX)
        - Hong (Deployment)
        - Amy (Webtier)
        - Jane (CLI)
        - GUI (Ken)

> 2. Documentation -- at a minimum, the Javadoc for HK2 and V3 APIs
> needs to be seen as fundamental to bringing developers on board with
> HK2 and V3. It's currently extremely terse, of use only to those
> who have read and understood the code (and hence of no real use!).
> I intend to help in this area, but in truth developers of APIs must
> take responsibility for writing javadoc that is clear and helpful to
> "newbies". It looks bad to have mis-spelled gramattically incorrect
> and just plain confusing javadoc for our product. I intend to help
> in that way too, but the writer of the API bears the responsibility.
I agree but of course, reality bites.

> 3. Email -- email exchanges like this one have low residual value.
> We need to move these discussions to web pages so that value
> accumulates instead of dissipating.

automatic archival. Wouldn't that suffice ?

> 4. Wiki pages: I do like Wikis so long as I don't have to *edit*
> them (tedious and awkward for larger pages, and wasn't WYSIWYG
> invented 20 years ago?). So we need to think hard about what is
> easy to edit and maintain. Perhaps a mix of Wiki and HTML will
> work, but I don't understand how to mix them well.

well, you would need to come up with a proposal here. I agree that
wiki editing is a bit too close to latex and just like maven. It has
deficiencies but until there is a viable replacement, I think we need
to stick with it...