dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [V3] targeting asadmin commands ...

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:22:45 -0800

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
>>

>> Ludovic Champenois wrote:

>>> Why?
>>> The admin area work needs to start on V3:). Welcome aboard.
>>> For now, 1 single port is the easy workaround (and as a developer, I
>>> don't mind simple things in the current prototype/implementation: no
>>> need to understand username/password or master password in the
>>> current V3).
>>> Ludo
>>
>> It's just that it is not mentioned anywhere. I don't disagree with the
>> intent,
>> but it has to be made explicit. Sorry, I am not used to doing things in
>> ad hoc manner.
>>
>> Having no user name and password (master password is not used in this
>> case at
>> all, FYI) is OK in certain cases, but not all.
>>
>> Also, the domain.xml has the lines
>> <http-listener id="admin-listener" address="0.0.0.0" port="4848"
>> acceptor-threads="1" security-enabled="false"
>> default-virtual-server="__asadmin" server-name="" xpowered-by="true"
>> enabled="true" family="inet" blocking-enabled="false"/>
>>

>> What are they for?
>> What's the use of __asadmin virtual server? Why is it there in
>> domain.xml by
>> default when it is not used.
>>
>> Sorry Ludo, this needs to be thought through.
>
> Maybe you should just assume it's not yet implemented and finish it.
> Well, ok, "assume" is the wrong word. After checking with Jerome to
> confirm that it's simply a case of that functionality having not been
> implemented yet, go ahead and finish it.

I don't understand this mode of operation. But I will bite the bullet
and do as expected. I am just surprised that this kind of exception is not
surprising to you.

One of my basic problems is to know what is "done" and what is
isn't. Maybe it was just decided that we don't need a separate listener
and VS for admin operations and I was just trying to understand if it
were the interim decision.

I believe sending an e-mail to dev alias is equivalent to checking with
Jerome. Do you disagree?