dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: migration: weblogic -> glassfish : multiconnection pool and multi data sources

From: Jagadish Prasath Ramu <Jagadish.Ramu_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:56:19 +0530

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 10:50 -0500, Sekhar Vajjhala wrote:
> Moving the discussion of the issue raised on
> to this alias. Refer to the thread for a description of the issue.
>
> It looks to me that there are two concepts in WebLogic. - MultiPool
> and multi datasources.
>
> a. MultiPool has been replaced by multi data sources - para 3,
> http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs90/jdbc_admin/jdbc_intro.html#1044158 .
>
> b. Multi data source is an abstraction over dat sources and provides
> load balancing or failover between data sources. See the para
> under the diagram in
> http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs90/jdbc_admin/config.html#1064269 .
> When an application looks up multi data source, a data source is
> selected based on the algorithm configured (
>
> http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs90/jdbc_admin/jdbc_multidatasources.html#1108831
> ).
>
> GF has one concept - clustered pool, proposed in
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/attach/OnePagersOrFunctionalSpecs/ConnectionPoolOnePager.html
> .
> . Is clustered pool similar to multi data source or MulitPool ? It
> seems similar to MutliPool to me. Can you clarify ?
GlassFish has 1:1 jdbc-resource-> jdbc-connection-pool mapping. With
clustered pool, it will be 1:* jdbc-resource-> multiple connection
pools. This would help to provide load balancing and fail-over behavior.

AFAIK, multi datasource and multi pools will behave the same,
difference being the way in which they are represented in configuration.

Thanks,
-Jagadish