dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: How should packages created from glassfish modules be versioned

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:36:07 -0700

Petteri Räty wrote:
>> For a module representing a Java standard API, wouldn't it be better
>> if the version number of the module matched the version number of the
>> corresponding Java spec?
>>

> I see 9.0 comes from Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition
> 9 probably so that is not useful indeed.
> http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tools/deployment/
>
> It seems the spec is in version 1.1:
> http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tools/deployment/downloads/index.html
>
> So probably a good name + versioning compination is:
> glassfish-deployment-api-1.1.1.1.01. With Glassfish it should be too
> that the bXX number represent some internal builds like with JDK too?

> Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_01-b06, mixed mode)
>
> Have you considered using a versioning scheme more standard for the FOSS
> world like X.Y.Z?

With the specs we try to keep the version numbers to just X.Y.
That allows the corresponding implementation to be versioned X.Y.Z.
Intermediate builds probably need some sort of suffix like -b##.
Possibly the -SNAPSHOT suffix is sufficient if we don't really need
to distinguish between builds. When we do a release that seems
smaller than what is typical for a micro (dot-dot) release, i.e.,
a patch release, that's when the _01 suffix is added. Way too much
granularity if you ask me.