dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Implementation details in javax.persistence.persistence-api Maven jar???

From: Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:44:14 -0700

Hi Bill,

On Jun 22, 2007, at 2:08 PM, Bill Shannon wrote:

> With things like the persistence APIs, it's feasible to get the API
> definitions from the maven repository and get a separate
> implementation
> from the maven repository (or elsewhere), combine them together,
> and have
> something useful. The APIs are designed to support pluggable
> implementations.
> That's *much* less true with javaee.jar as a whole.

I think we're conflating two concepts of "implementation".

The kind of implementation contained in Persistence.java is
restricted to bootstrapping. The Persistence.java code bootstraps the
system by looking up an implementation of the rest of the JPA. Its
job is then done. There is no reason to exclude this bootstrapping
code from the javaee.jar or from any other packaging.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell_at_sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!