dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: context.xml vs sun-web.xml

From: Peter Williams <Pete.Williams_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 20:58:09 -0700

Thanks for the answers. One more comment inline.

Amy Roh wrote:
> Peter Williams wrote:
>> I just read Amy's blog
>> (http://weblogs.java.net/blog/amyroh/archive/2007/05/context_webapp_1.html)
>> about a new V2 feature where context.xml from Tomcat is supported at
>> several levels by Sun AppServer/Glassfish and I have several
>> questions I need answers to:
>>
>> 1. What happens if deployed webapp contains both sun-web.xml and
>> context.xml? Which one will be used? Assume the data is in conflict
>> (e.g. the two context-root fields are different).
>
> sun-web.xml should be used.
>
>> 2. What happens if a deployed webapp containing sun-web.xml is
>> deployed to a server that has a global or virtual context.xml
>> defined? (Similar conditions to above)
>
> same as above, sun-web.xml should be used.
>
>> 3. Assume Glassfish is running on JDK 1.6 and only context.xml is
>> specified. Will generated java sources for JSP's be saved to disk or
>> not? If not, what should the user do to make this happen?
>
> AFAIK, the behavior should be the same with or without context.xml
> defined.
Why would it be same?

It's not when sun-web.xml is used (jsp-config property "keepGenerated"
is required for JDK 6 jsp compiler to keep .java files present (for
actions such as "View Servlet" in NetBeans web project module).

Is a different jsp compiler (or different settings) used when supporting
this file?

-Peter