dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: cannot start domain for cluster profile

From: Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:34:20 -0500

Ken Paulsen wrote:

> This is significant regression. When will the next MQ integration
> be? What do you suggest for people who don't have a static IP to set
> it to? Do they have to find their dynamic IP and set it in the
> /etc/hosts file every time it changes?

It's a significant regression in what I think would be a common use case
- folks who happen to work on systems with dynamic IP addresses.

Whenever we find a bug in the project we should be adding a unit test
that shows the bug before the code is fixed and verifies that the fix
solves the problem, thereby allowing us to detect any future regression
promptly and automatically.

We should find similar ways to build tests for this kind of scenario
into our automated build-and-test environments so this type of problem
surfaces before a promotion so at least we know what we're promoting.

In this case, probably the right place for such a test is the MQ test
suite since that's where the problem seems to have originated.

- Tim
> Thanks!
>
> Ken
>
> Anissa Lam wrote:
>> Hi Ramesh,
>> That fixes the problem. Thanks for the workaround.
>>
>> Anissa.
>>
>> Ramesh Parthasarathy wrote:
>>> Hi Anissa,
>>> I think the hostname "falk" maps to a loopback address 127.0.0.1
>>> (/etc/hosts). Could you change this to a static ip and try.
>>>
>>> Ideally, the DAS broker (is EMBEDDED and standalone) should startup even
>>> if the ip address of the host is a loopback address. But, there is a
>>> regression in the recent MQ drop which is causing broker startup to fail
>>> if address is loopback. This will be fixed in the next MQ integration.
>>>
>>> Please modify your host-ip mapping in /etc/hosts to workaround this issue.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Ramesh

(remainder of thread clipped out)